Saturday, March 29, 2014

my favorite ombre fringe card

Ok...so I've been seeing these ombre fringe cards all over the internet and Pinterest and have been wanting to try one.  Yesterday I was on YouTube, and Dawn Griffith posted her version which I fell in love with.  I truly love all shades of taupe, and I do make a lot of my cards with Crumb Cake cardstock.  It's kind of like my "go-to" color all the time.  So when I spied Dawn's card, I knew this one was going to be my first attempt at it. 

Construction really is quite simple.  She used a 1"x 4-1/4"  strip of Early Espresso glued to the bottom edge of the card, then began layering each fringed layer over top of one another...starting from the bottom up.  The 1" strip helps to hide the card base from showing through the bottom layer.

The colors (from bottom to top)  are Early Espresso, Chocolate Chip, Soft Suede, and Crumb Cake.
Each strip of cardstock measures 1-1/2" x 4-1/4", with a score line at 1".  Then you simply cut each strip of cardstock with SU's fringe scissors up to the 1" score line.  After adhering the strips to the card front, tie a piece of Crumb Cake ribbon over top of the last strip to help hide the seam.

The boot image is from a stamp set called "Bootiful Occasions" from the big catalog.  This was stamped on Very Vanilla cardstock with StazOn ink.  The largest portion of the boot was colored in with a Crumb Cake marker, and a white gel pen was used on the top rim.  The bottom section of the boot is glittered with Dazzling Diamonds glitter and a two-way glue pen.  A rhinestone adds a perfect finishing touch to the top of the boot strap.  The image was then cut out with SU's "Labels Collection" framelits, and then another framelit was cut out of Early Espresso cardstock.  This label was cut into two pieces (remove peaks at sides of Early Espresso layer) and then glued to the Very Vanilla layer.  It is just meant to be a slight shadow behind the image.  This layer was then attached to the card front using dimensionals.

I always thought fringed coats were cool, but I never had one.  (Ok...so I went to high school in the 70's....no judging!)  I didn't, however, think it was cool when Fat Elvis wore fringe on his oversized jumpsuits back in the day.  Just sayin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment