Monday, March 24, 2014

using sketches

I found today's card on Mary Fish's site, and she had used a sketch from her Paper Pals Art blog.  Using sketches can be a wonderful way to get your creative "mojo" going, and at times it can be fun to find a sketch and use whatever scrap pieces you may have laying around on your craft desk.  When you use sketches, at most times the actual measurements are not provided.  That's the most difficult obstacle for me...so I like to play around with junk pieces of cardstock until I get it right.  Then I don't feel like I'm wasting my good paper. 

The sample in Pool Party is very similar to what Mary posted on her blog, and the blue floral print is from "Sweet Sorbet" DSP from Sale-a-Bration.    On the sample done with Basic Black cardstock, I just used DSP from the same paper pack, and rounded the corners to give it a little bit of a different look.

The card base measures 4-1/4" x 11".  The large background piece measures 3-3/4" x 4-1/2". On the Pool Party card I embossed it with the Decorative Dots EF from SAB.  The next layer of Basic Black cardstock measures 2-1/4" x 3-1/2", and the DSP measures 2" x 3-3/8".  The Whisper White strip for the sentiment measures 1" x 4".   I popped the DSP/Basic Black layer and the sentiment layer with dimensionals.  On the Basic Black card, I glued the DSP layer directly to the card front and only popped the sentiment layer.  The sentiments came from one of my fave sets "Remembering Your Birthday."

There would be plenty of ways to "step up" this sketch like adding an additional layer under the largest background piece, or embossing the DSP layers to give it some added texture. 

Get that mojo going!

No comments:

Post a Comment