Saturday, September 6, 2014

"Four Feathers" masculine birthday card

Hello stampers!
I often struggle with making masculine card, which is a pretty common problem in the stamping world.  It so much easier to stamp with flowers and lots of bling.  But you just never want to send a man a girly-type card which is all blinged out.

As soon as I spied the "Four Feathers" and matching framelits in the new mini catalog, I knew I'd found a perfect combination for a masculine card.  It's also offered in a bundle for 15% off, which made it an even better buy!   I used a card base of Smoky Slate cardstock, and used the matching ink to stamp the background called "Handcarved."  That provided a great tone on tone background, but I didn't feel it would distract too much from the feathers.  I stamped the feathers on scraps of Whisper White cardstock using the ink colors of Early Espresso, Basic Gray, Crumb Cake and Soft Suede.  That's a lot of neutrals, but it gave me the look I was going for.  I then cut out the feathers with the matching framelits and my Big Shot machine/magnetic platform.

On a 1/2" strip of Basic Gray cardstock, I stamped with black ink  the word "birthday" from a photopolymer set called "Endless Birthday Wishes."  Then I glued the strip directly onto the card front, added the feathers with a combination of glue and dimensionals, and added a tiny bow made from linen thread.  I secured the bow underneath with a glue dot.
 
For the inside, I stamped the sentiment in black ink on a piece of Whisper White cardstock which measured 3-3/4" x 5".  I stamped a small feather in Soft Suede ink directly onto the layer, then added two more feathers which had been cut out with the framelits.  The white layer was adhered to a layer of Basic Gray cardstock which measured 4" x 5-1/4".  For the finishing touch, I added another linen thread bow.
 
I hope you are having an enjoyable weekend, and that you're able to find some time to spend in your craft room!

No comments:

Post a Comment