Saturday, November 8, 2014

My version of "Santa-tizer"

Hello Stampers!
Been busy stamping?  Me too!  I got my Christmas cards done early this year....and I must say it's a liberating feeling!  Every year I swear I will start them in June, and I never do.  So I started them last Sunday, and completed them Tuesday.  I even addressed the envelopes.  They won't be mailed until December, but at least I know they are done. :)

I've seen several versions of hand "Santa-tizers" on Pinterest.  There are lots of ideas to choose from, but I ended up coming up with my own version.  Now mind you, not all hand sanitizers are created equal.  They come in many different shapes and sizes, so you will most likely have to adapt your measurements to whatever size bottles you're able to find.

I found these little gems at my local Dollar Tree.  They were up by the registers, packaged in a little clear plastic shaped purse with three bottles inside.  The scents/colors were "ocean breeze" (blue), "eucalyptus mint" (green), and "cherry blossom" (red).  They measure 3-1/4" tall.  The first picture is a side view of the completed project, and the second picture is the front.
 
I began with a strip of Cherry Cobbler cardstock measuring 1-3/4" x 11.  I scored it at 1-1/8", 3-1/4",
4-1/4", 7-5/8" and 8-5/8". 
On the end with the 1-1/8" measurement, I punched a hole with a 3/4" circle punch directly in the center. Then I trimmed off a scant 1/8" off the end to make it fit better after you place it over top of the bottle. I folded all my score lines so that the cardstock wraps completely around the bottle.  Then you can remove the bottle to decorate.
 
I used a 1/2" x 2-1/2" (approx.) strip of white cardstock adhered to the front.  The belt of black cardstock was glued over top along the bottom edge of the front flap, and it measures 1/2" x 1-3/4".   The two black buttons were punched with the SU Owl punch and black cardstock.  Glue to white strip on the front.
 
The head was formed using a white cardstock piece punched with the 1-3/4" scallop circle punch. Then I added a circle punched with the 1-1/4" circle punch and Pink Pirouette cardstock. I sandwiched the Pink Pirouette circle in between two scalloped triangles punched out of Cherry Cobbler cardstock and the Petite Pennant Builder punch before gluing it to the white scallop.
 
On my computer, I printed out the word "Santa-tizer" in size 11 per inch, and printed it on white cardstock.  I repeated the word several times over the size of the paper so I can make several from one sheet of cardstock.  Then I cut out the word with the 1-3/4" scallop circle, keeping the words towards the bottom. I folded the scallop in half, and glued it over top of the face to form the beard.  I added a couple 1/2" strips of white cardstock on the front and back of the hat to form the brim, and rounded the corners.  I glued two googly eyes, and a Pink Pirouette nose punched from the Owl punch.  I adhered the santa head with dimensionals, lining up the top edge of the beard with the top edge of the holder.  The white circle on top was punched twice from the Owl punch. I glued them on the front and back of the tip of the hat.   Who knew how versatile that darn Owl punch was going to be over the years??  That punch was a great investment in my stash!!!
 
My last bit of bling was the belt buckle.  I hand cut a small square slightly larger than the width of the belt out of silver glimmer paper, and added a small square of black cardstock inside to make it appear the belt was actually threaded through the buckle.  For a closure, I used a small circle shaped Velcro fastener.
 
I may choose to jazz these up even more by adding some Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the circle and brim of the hat.  It's not too late to add, but probably would have been better if I would have done so prior to attaching the head to the body. 
 
I thought these little guys would be nice to give a friend or co-worker just to spread a little Christmas cheer, and hopefully avoid spreading germs at the same time! 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment