Thursday, November 20, 2014

tree shaped ornament

Hello stampers......
This week I've been busy making some simple ornaments.  I'd been seeing paper straws in the craft stores....and wondered exactly what people were doing with them.  After researching them on Pinterest and Youtube, I found this idea.
I found a very helpful posting on Youtube by "Oneveryhappybird" that provided great measurements.  She had used a popsicle stick for the tree trunk, and she had colored it gold with a Sharpie marker.  However I used chop sticks that I had on hand in my craft stash.  I knew they'd come in handy some day!  ha ha!!!  Anyway, I cut the chopstick down to 4" length, and painted them with brown acrylic paint.
 
The star bead at the top can be found at Michael's crafts in the bead sections, and you just need to ensure the holes in the beads are going left to right when you glue the bead in place. That way when you thread your string through, the ornament will hang properly.
 
The straws were cut in the following lengths:  1/2", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 1-3/4", 2", 2-1/4", 2-1/2",
2-3/4", 3".
I used Tombow liquid glue to adhere them to the chop stick, and to the straw above it.
 
For decoration, the other poster had used various sized buttons or stick on gemstones.  I had sequins on hand, so I glued them on and added Stickles to the centers for additional bling.
 
The paper straws were purchased at Michael's in the dollar bins.  This really is a pretty economical craft, and would be a great project to do with kids too! 
 
Hope you have a creative day, and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment