Thursday, January 8, 2015

"Big Day" birthday card

Good morning stampers!
Cold enough out there for you?  I'm so glad I can stay inside today.  Hopefully the work phones will cooperate, and I can have plenty of time to play with my new SU toys!

I made this card just using scraps of paper and ribbon I found while cleaning up my work space.  Hey..what better way to avoid cleaning up by stopping to make a card??  ha ha!!

The card features a new FREE stamp set from SU called "Big Day."  You can earn this set for FREE with a $50 purchase (before tax and shipping) during Sale-a-Bration!  Who doesn't like FREE??  It's my favorite time of year!  :)

This card was so fast to whip together, they would be easy to make a bunch to have in your stash.
 
I began by stamping the word image at the top of a piece of Whisper White cardstock measuring
2-3/4" x 4" using Memento black ink.  Next I stamped the cake and candle at the bottom.  Then I stamped the banner portion on a scrap of Whisper White and fussy cut it out with my scissors.  Set aside.   I then glued the main image to a piece of black cardstock measuring 3" x 4-1/4".    I used my aqua pen to add a little bit of color to the word "cake" and to the cake image.  In this sample I used Pretty in Pink ink (retired) because it matched the scrap of ribbon I found.  For a bit of contrast, I used a Strawberry Slush marker to the edge of the icing on the cake, and Daffodil Delight marker for the flame.  To add a little sparkle, I colored the flame, icing edge, and the edges of the word "cake" with a glitter pen which is non-SU.  This added just the right amount of bling.   I used my tiny stapler to secure the scrap of ribbon, and added dimensionals to the back of this layer. I cut small pieces of dimensionals and added to the back of the banner that I had fussy cut, and put that in place over top of where the original banner was stamped.  This adds a lot of dimension to the project.
 
The card base is a normal A2 sized card, and the layer of DSP measures 4" x 5-1/4".  The DSP was non-SU also.  Again...I was just using up what was on my desk.  I love to do that sometimes.  Just to sit down and create something with what's laying on your desk.  (Ok...I confess...there's always a LOT of stuff just laying on my desk!)   After I glued the DSP to the card front, then I added the focal image to the center of the card.  Easy peasy!
 
I forgot to take a picture of the inside, but it looks exactly the same as the front (DSP and text box) only I stamped the words "and perhaps a little ice cream!"   I think this card would also work well as a masculine birthday card if you chose another color other than pink. 
 
Hope you stay warm, and have a creative day!

No comments:

Post a Comment